Lithium Ion Batteries – Safe Handling in the Work Environment and Daily Practice
Participation fee: 595 €
Chair: Dipl.-Ing. Lars Hollmotz and Dipl.-Ing. Alfred R. Jeckel
Topics from the field include:
- Incoming goods inspection for batteries, damage checklist, outgoing goods inspection
- Moving components of unknown status to quarantine areas
- Components Occupational safety / protective equipment / safety equipment Workshop, warehouse, test areas
- Emergency procedures – extinguishing, extinguishing agents, emergency areas, emergency containers, involvement of fire brigade and plant security, PPE
- Condition assessment of a Li-ion battery
- Training needs for staff in the various areas involved, qualification plan and content
In the online seminar, the structure and content of a guide for the safe handling of Li-ion cells/batteries (rechargeable batteries) is jointly developed and presented.
On the topic
The lithium-ion battery is the essential core component in the technological shift of the automotive industry towards electromobility (e-mobility) and electric vehicles (e-vehicles) or electric cars (e-cars). This technology carries risks and dangers that can be reduced with proper preparation and responsible handling.
The possible consequences in the event of a fault (e.g. due to internal / external short circuit, thermal runway) include fire and smoke as well as the escape of chemical substances. Diese Auswirkungen können sowohl sofort als auch mit einer zeitlichen Verzögerung sichtbar werden. Possible safety measures include professionally correct damage assessment, safe packaging, storage and transport of components in the appropriate packaging.
With regard to the selection of protective clothing and rescue measures, attention should be paid not only to PPE but also to suitable gas analysis equipment, extinguishing containers and the right extinguishing agent in sufficient quantities.
A suitable qualification concept must include the chemical and thermal risks of lithium technology in addition to qualification based on electrical risks.
Online seminar, 09:00 to 16:30
- Welcome and agenda
- Basics of Li-Ion technology
- Presentation of guidelines and process chain
- Introduction Topics – Safety – Ageing – Characteristics/Performance
- Introduction to the associated risks, hazards and safety concepts
- Detailed consideration of practical topics – logistics, use, testing, storage, service, repair, recycling
- Questions and answers
This online seminar focuses on the following goals:
- The knowledge about risks and hazards necessary for the daily handling of lithium technology is imparted.
- An overview of applicable safety-relevant measures is given.
- Participants can take away a framework and a lot of information as a basis for a guide on the safe handling of lithium cells and batteries.
- Practical advice and suggestions for necessary documents (checklists, test reports, etc.) are given, which can be implemented directly.
Circle of participants