Prof. Dr. Dirk Uwe Sauer
Chair of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology,
Institut für Stromrichtertechnik und Elektrische Antriebe (ISEA), RWTH Aachen University
Helmholtz-Institut Münster (HIMS) „Ionics in Energy Storage“
Dirk Uwe Sauer studied physics at the TH Darmstadt and graduated in 1994. From 1992-2003 he worked at the Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems ISE as research associate, project coordinator and head of the groups “Storage Systems” (2000 – 2003) and “Grid Independent Power Supplies” (2001 – 2003). After obtaining his doctorate at the University of Ulm in 2003, he was appointed junior professor for “Electrochemical Energy Conversion and Storage Systems” at the RWTH Aachen and was appointed university professor in 2009.
Since 2015, Dirk Uwe Sauer has also been Principle Investigator of the Helmholtz Institute Münster “Ionics in Energy Storage” under the direction of Prof. Martin Winter. He currently has additional responsibilities, among others, as Director of the Energy Section of the Jülich-Aachen Research Alliance (JARA), as Executive Director of the “Energy Systems of the Future” project of the three national science academies and as a member of AG 4 of the Federal Government’s Mobility Platform. Together with Prof. Winter, Dirk Uwe Sauer has been scientific director of the conference “Kraftwerk Batterie” since 2009.
- Battery storage in hybrid and electric vehicles
- Energy storage in grids with a high share of renewable energies
- Aging and lifetime prognosis of batteries
- Modelling and diagnostics of batteries
- Hardware and methods of impedance spectroscopy for batteries and fuel cells
- Concepts and consequences of a CO2-free energy supply
- Economic evaluation of storage technologies
- Policy advice on technical energy storage issues
- Electric buses for local public transport
- Focus on technology: Lithium-ion batteries, Lead-acid batteries, SuperCaps, Redox Flow batteries