Prof. Rachid Yazami
Research Director, CNRS, France
Former Director of Energy Storage Programs
Energy Research Institute @NTU (ERIAN)
Nanyang Technological University (NTU)
President KVI PTE LTD
2 Cleantech Loop, #00-04,
Mobile: +65 8189-6674
A. EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
M.S. (Chemistry and Chem. Eng.) Grenoble Institute of Technology (INPG), 1978
Ph.D. (Electrochemistry and Materials Science) INPG, 1985
B. PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
2011-current: Founding Director & President, KVI Pte Ltd
2013-2018: Professor at NTU and Adj. Principal Scientist, at ERI@N
2012-2013: Cheng Tsang Man Chair Professor in Energy, School of Materials Science and Engineering, NTU
2010-2012: Nanyang Visiting Professor, NTU
2000-2010: Visiting Associate, California Institute of Technology
1998-current: Research Director, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS) at INPG (on leave of absence)
1985-1998: Research Associate, CNRS at INPG
1994-2000: Adjunct Professor, INPG
1979-1985: Adjunct Professor, University of Grenoble 3
C. AWARDS & ACHIEVEMENTS
- Inventor in 1980 of the graphite anode used in the over 8 billion lithium ion batteries produced in 2018.
- Inventor of 140+ worldwide patents
- Over 250 published scientific papers, books, book chapters
- Winner of the Draper Prize in 2014 (Nobel Prize in Engineering, National Academy of Engineering, Washington DC).
- Recipient of the “ Royal Wissam of Intellectual Competency” awarded by the HM the King of Morocco (July 2014)
- Member of the Royal Academy of Science and Technology (Morocco)
- Recipient of the Medal of Chevalier de la Légion d’Honneur, France (2016)
- TAKREEM Awards Laureate for Science and Technology Achievement, Kuwait, Nov. 2018
- Finalist of the Global Energy Prize (Russia, 2014)
- Nominated for the Queen Elizabeth Prize for Engineering (2013‐2015)
- Other awards include IEEE, NATO, JSPS , NASA and Marius Lavet Prize
- Served as the president of the International Battery Association (IBA) (2003‐2006)
- Served visiting scientist/professor at: Kyoto University, Shinshu University, California Institute of Technology in association with JPL‐NASA (2000‐2010), Nanyang Technological University 2010‐2018
- Served as the PI and co‐PI in numerous projects with public and private organizations.
- Career began in Grenoble in late 70s when he started his PhD project on graphite‐based material for lithium rechargeable batteries at the Grenoble Institute of Technology (INPG).
- In 1985 joined the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS) and rose to the Research Director (Professor) position (current).
- Developed the fluoride ion battery with liquid electrolyte
- Developed the ETM technology based on entropy measurements on batteries for accurate determination of battery state of charge, state of health and state of safety.
- Developed “Refillable” lithium batteries for electro‐mobility applications
- Developed rechargeable batteries for hearing aid and Bluetooth applications.
- Developed fast charging protocols for lithium ion batteries
- Founded battery technology related companies in USA (1) and in Singapore (5)
- Major memberships: The French Carbon Society (GFEC), The Electrochemical Society, The American Chemical Society, The International Society of Electrochemistry